Sunday, January 29, 2012

I Love My Kinky Coily "4C" Hair...

I don't subscribe to the whole typing system as a definite point of reference for my hair because my 4C hair may not be like another person's 4C hair.  So I don't take the typing system, or it's backlash personally.  Because no two heads of hair are the same.  Heck, I have several different textures on my own head, it'd be crazy to try to seek out an individual with my same exact hair type.  It gets to a point where you want to just say, C'mon!!!!!!!  Let's be realistic.

I confess, I've searched "4C hair videos on the YT and immediately felt like, "Uh-uh, that's not how my hair is."  Then I start to kind of go back and forth with myself like, maybe I'm not really 4C, but 4A...but then I look back at my coils and "BAM"  those coils in the crown of my head are definitely 4C.
To compare my sentiment to a more tangible aspect.  Take the "plus-sized" and "Big Girl" references.  These are general references like "4C" for ladies of a certain frame and weight class, but it's a vague classification for a variety of women...size 8 to infinity...Just saying.  So my 4C coils may not be as tiny or plump as another natural beauties coils, but they are tight coils...so they are 4C. 

SO  MY POINT IS...I love my kinky coily hair.  I even did my first wash-n-go Sunday, and I realize I have 3C, 4A, 4B, and 4C hair textures on my head.  It is very easy for me to distinguish my 4C hair texture from my 3C, 4A, and 4B textures...and vice versa.  Each class has characteristics all their own.  That's what's so unique and wonderful about our hair. Ha! I love it!!!  I think it's sad that some ladies do not accept the texture of hair that grows from their scalps.  And I think it's sadder that society still has this stigma against courser kinky coi1y hair as "less desirable" than looser curl textures and straight hair.  Well, no one has to love our afro-textured tresses, I love it enough for all of us ; )



 














1 comment: